Summing up 2019 is difficult for a company of the size and breadth of RDO Equipment Co. – because, a lot happens in one year, and there’s not just one or two – or even a dozen – moments that can accurately define it.
RDO isn’t just about selling and supporting new and used equipment. It’s a company that’s all about people. No matter what’s happening in one of RDO’s stores, regions, or global partnerships, the core of the company is focused on people, from team members to customers and community members, and every stakeholder across the footprint.
Here are 20 highlights of where the RDO team has been with our customers, communities, and partners in 2019 – plus a sneak peek at one of the most exciting moments to come in 2020.
1. The year began in RDO’s Midwest region, with the announcement of one of the company’s most exciting new projects: a new, full-service Vermeer, Topcon, and John Deere store in Dayton, MN.
2. Up in the Northwest Agriculture region, team members took a look back and a one-year update of the acquisition of Evergreen Implement, one of RDO’s largest acquisitions which brought to the company five stores and more than 75 team members. From customers to crops, the team also shared a peek at what was happening in the Northwest Ag region in early spring.
3. With winter still going strong in March, in several regions, the team took a closer look at Deere’s X700 tractor for snow removal and how it’s working for one customer: Fargo, ND-based snow removal company, Welk’s Lawn Care.
4. On the other side of RDO’s Midwest region, in Billings, MT, the team celebrated the 10-year anniversary of RDO Integrated Controls. From three original team members (who are still with the team) to more than 100 today, and countless hours of technology service, support, and leadership is certainly worth celebrating.
5. As the snow melted and spring forged ahead, road work began to really roll for several RDO customers. In Huron, SD, Asphalt Paving & Materials, Co. shared the importance of reliable equipment from Wirtgen Group, as well as service and support from the RDO team.
6. RDO’s global presence is an exciting area of the business and one that is helping other countries move towards mechanized farming. In partnership with a nearby non-profit, the team found a tractor and implements to fit a small Mozambique farming operation’s needs and budget. The tractor was immediately put to use and has been a perfect fit for the farm.
7. Back in the Midwest, planting may have gotten off to a slow start but RDO was ready to do its part for customers – and, thanks to a unique partnership with North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton, ND, the team readied itself for another year of working hands-on with agriculture students in the field.
8. One of RDO’s booming regions continues to be Texas. The team in San Antonio helped a longtime customer, Pesado Construction Co.,, find the solution to a challenge on the jobsite.
9. Further north, in the Austin, TX area, another RDO customer was working with newer machines and technology from Deere and Topcon. Champion Site Prep shared the benefits of SmartGrade machines and technology for its fast-paced earthmoving company.
10. In Eastern Oregon, tough ground conditions make underground drilling a challenge. Local telecom services company, Windwave Communications, discussed its Vermeer horizontal directional drills to work in these challenging conditions, as well as the importance of its partnership with RDO.
11. It was back to the Northwest Agriculture region later in the season to take a look at one of the most exciting new products in the RDO lineup: Spudnik and its Scooper, the original product it brought to market more than 60 years ago.
12. In western North Dakota’s Bakken Shale oil region, the oil boom is back – and it’s back in a big way. Companies are running equipment around the clock and continuous uptime is a must. One of RDO’s rental customers, Badlands Power Fuels, talks about its equipment, parts, and service partnership.
13. While California wildfires have been unfortunate, RDO’s Vermeer Northern California team is committed to partnering with customers who are taking part in the clean-up effort. The team shared more about what makes the the NorCal Vermeer region unique and what happens in the fall.
14. When Topcon introduced the newest automated edition of its 3D modular aftermarket solution for excavation, the RDO team was on it, immersing in the technology to provide and support it for customers. The Moorhead, MN team hosted a special demo day to share the technology with customers.
15. Just a few miles and one state away, the city of West Fargo, ND held its annual Big Iron farm equipment show, where the RDO team showed one of its newest partnerships and products: SEKO and the Samurai 7 Horizontal Mixing Wagon.
16. Variable rate irrigation is an opportunity for a precision agriculture strategy in farming, everything from water conservation to nutrient management. RDO’s MVI team in Wadena, MN hosted customers in the field to talk more about VRI and all services and support it offers as a dealer partner of Valley Irrigation.
17. Back to the western part of North Dakota and into eastern Montana, SmartGrade technology was again making its debut – this time, with the industry’s first mastless motor grader on a roadbuilding jobsite with RDO customer, Baranko Bros.
18. One more trip across the pond for the RDO team to check out agriculture’s biggest industry tradeshow, Agritechnica, in Hanover, Germany. The team shared highlights, new product introductions, and the impact of connecting with customers from around RDO’s international footprint.
19. For the past 20 years, RDO’s annual potato luncheon, RDO Caters Taters for Charity, has been bringing together the Fargo-Moorhead community for food, fun, and to raise funds for a local charity. This year’s event was another record-setter, raising more than $90,000 for PATH North Dakota and in support of youth ages 14-23 who are aging out of foster care.
20. RDO’s 2019 trip around the company ends right back where it started – in Dayton, MN checking on the progress of the newest RDO store. Be sure to follow along for more construction updates in 2020, as the team moves towards completion and the store’s grand opening in the summer.
Thank you for joining us this year, as we shared stories from across the RDO footprint. We invite you to learn more about RDO Equipment Co. and follow us on social media as we look forward to another great year in 2020. Find us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube.